Welsford Rogue

 
15' Kayak 14' Canoe 17' Kayak Home

 Tiller & Rigging

  June 6, 2021

A lot of tasks accomplished this week and most of the work is finished.

Starting on the tiller, I first made the wedge that slips into the centerboard case. I made it a standalone component because I'm going to try to make a tiller that folds up to be out of the way when not needed.

With the remaining pieces clamped in place, I'm trying do determine a good angle, although I may not fix the angle permanently until I have chance to use it out on the water.

Starting in with some epoxy assembly.

A cotter pin will be used to keep the wedge in place, with a line threaded through the eye and attached to the housing to keep it handy.

A clevis pin with spring cotter allows the tiller to rotate. Here it's in the up position.

When I've determined the desired tiller angle, I'll put a stopper of some kind under the arm where it will rest when in the down position.

I've installed 2 belaying pins through the deck.

They'll be used to secure the mast in the open mast partner.

They extend about the same distance under the deck allowing this type of lashing.

I'll probably come up with a better lashing pattern but as is, it's holding tight.

Here's the halyard attachment at the top of the mast.

And back at the base, trying to locate the halyard position. I had to make a couple attempts to locate one of the internal braces for something solid to screw into.

Then on to attaching the sail to the spars...

...had to deal with four lashing points.

A few times around the spar...

...then an angled attachment through the hole in the spar.

The aft end of the boom has a small block to adjust sail tension.

The mainsheet blocks attached.

And the downhaul almost completes the setup. Just a few more minor task and she'll be ready to sail. Although it may not be next weekend — I have some unrelated activities scheduled and have to get the boat back on the trailer (also rainy weather predicted).

  June 13, 2021

Without much available time this week, I was able to take care of a few more details.

The rudder assembly was completed.

This spring lock was added to keep the rudder from slipping out.

I decided on a tiller angle (slightly more horizontal than photo above) and installed and epoxied this support bar.

Here'she tiller resting in place on the bar.

I also added a tiller extension fastened with rope and a few figure eight knots.

A paracord wrap at the end.

The rudder uphaul is attached. I'm still working on the downhaul. It may be stretch cord that would allow the rudder to pivot if it hits an obstruction.

The daggerboard is inserted into the slot as far at it will go before hitting the ground. I was going to paint a strip of black directly under the top plate to cover the diagonal error, but the look has been growing on me. I think I'll leave it exposed and consider it a unique design element! The front of the boat is to the left in the photo, so the angle forms a kind of forward-pointing arrow.

The back of the daggerboard housing seemed like a perfect location for the ratchet block but it would in the way when rowing, so I'm going to try this setup: a line attached through the limber holes on each side at the base of the housing running up and over the seat. The block is attached with a spectra cord loop. The photo shows it in use on the left and out of way on the right.

Finally, on a calm evening I hoisted the sail. Of course there are still adjustments to be made but it's basically ready to go.

One discovery when all was set up: there is not enough space between the boom and deck for the downhaul. I'll have to run it down to the front seat.

There was no way to reach the underside of the seat to bolt hardware in, so I'm using a loop of spectra as the connection point. After several failed methods, here's how I finally made a loop through the two holes with no access to the underside. If it's not clear in the photos, I put two carefully placed bends in a large zip tie, then inserted it into one hole a segment at a time, rotating to keep the bends in place. When positioned properly and pulled upward, the other end popped up through the second hole. Once I could grab that end, I pulled it through a little more, then attached a wire to the other end and pulled that through. Finally I attached the wire to the spectra line, pulled it through and tied it into a loop with a reef knot.

Next weekend I'll get the boat back on the trailer but probably not on the water until hopefully, the following weeked.


Additional updates to come...