Welsford Rogue

 
15' Kayak 14' Canoe 17' Kayak Home

 Sailing Components

  April 3, 2021

Yes, it's been a long stretch since my last update back in September. I took a little break from boat work over the winter — but did make progress on a few fronts and made some new purchases.

A big order from Duckworks — the sail, lines and hardware! We'll take a closer look at the contents later when setting up the rigging.

And, because they finally became available again, I picked up a decent dust mask. I was noticing an increased sensitivity to wood dust last year probably due to my not-so-great masks and a slightly cavalier attitude towards wearing them.

The work continued right where I left off last Fall, with the modifications to the mismeasured daggerboard. I went back to work with the chisel while continually thinking how easy this job would be with a router.

Then I came across this inexpensive cutting tip for the Dremel tool at WalMart.

It worked perfectly to clean up the slots that house the bridging piece between the new cap the daggerboard.

When in place, the cap creates the proper angle for the top edge. It's currently slightly oversized but will be cut and sanded to fit once epoxied in place.

The boom and yard for the balanced lug sail are being made from dowel stock sourced from the local lumber yard. It happened to be just the right diameter and needs only to be tapered according to the plans. To assist with the shaping, I glued guides to each end indicating the target size.

A block plane, the Shinto Rasp, sandpaper and a straightedge were used to achieve the specified gradual taper out to the tips.

I'll need to return the Rogue to the back yard to continue working on it. And while I thought about making some kind of dolly to move it around, I instead bought this cart. It straps to the boat and hopefully will allow easy transport of this fairly light boat on land without having to lug around the heavy trailer.


      April 11, 2021

This week a little more progress was made on the spars and daggerboard. It was mostly epoxying and varnishing which eats up the limited weekend hours with curing and drying time.

I added a couple wraps of fiberglass tape to the ends of the boom and yard.

Coated with epoxy to dry overnight.

Then sanded and a second coat of epoxy applied.

The rest of each spar was given a first coat of varnish.

The daggerboard cap was finally epoxied in place...

...and squared up. I still have to attach a top piece but the board is finally the correct shape! It's a thick and heavy board and I imagine will be cumbersome to raise and lower while sailing – but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

And finally, not to turn this into show-and-tell, but I had to mention I was able to get this Craftsman random orbital sander for just $25 at the hardware store by using a half-off coupon! It's been helping to speed things along and something I wish I had purchased earlier in the building process.


Additional updates to come...